HowTo: Brew Your Own Bathtub Gin (Well, Sorta)
Here's another slightly under-the-table D.I.Y. project for you (though much less gritty than today's earlier example).
"I made gin! Well, sort of. I infused vodka in the hopes of making gin. I used the recipe I found at Newcity Restro by way of Cinnamon. I think this recipe was originally from the book The Modern Mixologist by Tony Abou-Ganim. I made a few changes based on what I suspected would be orange zest heavy and, well, it still turned out orange zest heavy.
(One should note, however, that I seem to be unusually sensitive to the presence of orange zest. I don't know why, but I find it utterly overwhelms everything it comes in contact with, ruining many a nice pastry, cranberry relish, or chocolate for me.)"
1. Run a 1.75 L bottle of Smirnoff vodka through a water filter like a Brita about three times if you happen to have one. Or skip this step, it likely won't make a difference.
2. Add 2 1/2 tablespoons of juniper berries. Let sit for 12 hours.
- 1/8 tsp fennel seed
- four black peppercorns
- 1/4 tsp allspice berries
- 3/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/8 tsp grains of paradise (I added these, you might want to skip)
- 3/4 tsp fresh orange zest (original calls for 1 tsp)
- 3/4 tsp lemon zest (original calls for 1/2 tsp)
- one sprig rosemary
4. Let sit for another 12 hours.
5. Strain through a a fine mesh, and if you can manage, back into it's bottle.
For more details, be sure to visit Not Martha.