David, for Wilderness Education, shows us how to make this drink "Sloe Gin" which is really good to be used during the winter. It sure will keep us warm. The Sloe berries which we use for this recipe need to be ripe.
Sloes – 450 g / 1 lb
Sugar – 125 g / 4 ½ oz
Strong dry Gin – 70 cl / 1.2 pint bottle
• First you need to take the Soles and prick it with a toothpick or slice each sloe half way using a knife. This is done to allow the sloes to infuse completely with the gin and the sugar
• Take a large glass, jar or container, and put the entire slit sloes in to it. Then add the sugar in to the jar. It is best to use a funnel for this as it may get a bit messy.
• Then empty the dry gin bottle into the jar.
• Close the top of the jar with its cork and shake it well. The sugar may take some time to dissolve.
• Now you need to shake it once or twice a week for three months.
• After three months your Sloe Gin is ready to drink!